Saturday, June 19, 2010

Laundry, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and To Kill a Mockingbird



The pup went to the groomers and while he was there I brought all my winter blankets. comforters and duvet covers to the laundromat. There was WAY to much stuff to torment a home washing machine with. Nothing like a non air-conditioned laundromat on a humid, 90 degree day but I started reading To Kill a Mockingbird again while there so it made the experience tolerable. I know I loved it before and clearly I should have re-read it sooner because I had forgotten how fantastic it is. I'm trying to start up a book club again and this will be our first book (in honor of the 50th anniversary of it's original publication)!
And what would a Saturday be without a little experimental baking. This time it was to try and make my all-time favorite thing in the world-chocolate chip cookies-slightly healthier. How? Well, I didn't use any eggs, I substituted all the sugar with Splenda and I only used whole-wheat flour. They're not the chocolate chip cookie most people would probably like but I think they actually turned out pretty well. Here's the recipe if you're feeling a little daring:
Sort-of Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
1 cup I Can't Believe It's No Butter with Olive Oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. greek yogurt
1 2/3 c. Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Morsels
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, Splenda, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add yogurt and then gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup morsels. Drop rounded tablespoons onto baking sheets. Top each with a few more morsels. Bake for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment