Monday, August 2, 2010

Sauce (almost) from scratch

In my efforts to cook more and eat less processed crap I decided to make my own sauce.
Adapted both these recipes from Skinny Italian, my new favorite cookbook.

Plain sauce:
28 oz can of tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried basil

Pour all the juices and broken up tomatoes into large saucepan (broke up tomatoes just by holding the can over the saucepan and squeezing them with my hands). Add paste and bring all to a boil. Lower heat, add basil and simmer.
Threw this over a little #11 spaghetti and topped with some peccorino romano cheese.

Took about 3/4 of this and made a spicier version too:
3 cups of above sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
I just threw this all together and simmered for a few minutes then poured it on top of 3 chicken breasts and 4-5 cubed red potatoes and cooked in the crock pot on low for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment